Friday, January 10, 2014

Sharepoint 2010 - Recovering Deleted Pages

Murphy's law states that if 'anything can go wrong, it WILL'. And it did for me recently, while I was uploading a file to my knowledge base document library hosted in Sharepoint 2010. While providing the location of where to save the file, I just copy/pasted the URL from my browser, where I had previously opened my knowledge base document library. As soon as I clicked on 'Save'. I knew that I have done something wrong. 



The knowledge base document library had become in-accessible. The same issue can also occur, if you just copy/paste the site link into the 'Save As' dialogue box, which you might chose to do in order to select the appropriate document library from within the 'Save As' dialogue box. 

So if you did the same i.e. just copy/pasted a URL similar to the below, then you might have had the same problem. 

https://mysite.com/sites/default.aspx

Luckily, in order to recover from this catastrophic failure (sometimes drama is good for life :) ), you can open the site in the SharePoint Designer, find the page you have over-written and chose the option 'Reset to Site Definition'. 

in case you have over-written the default view of a document/list library, just find the document/list library. 

1. Click on the document/list library
2. In the views section, click on 'New'
3. Enter the name of the new view AND check the box labelled 'Make this the default view'. 

This will fix the problem. If you want more details, feel free to email me or leave a comment in the comments section. 


No comments: